Super Fly Webstore

Monday, December 20, 2010

12-20-10 Another Steel chasing day

My co-worker and friend Dustin the Muffin, his friend Mark and I went for a steelhead chase session today. The day began as usual...the 5am wakeup....5:30 peddle to the metal...on our way...We were greeted in Altmar by a flock of turkeys running down the main drag...I of course blocked traffic to snap a pic...

There are several fly shops to choose from when in need of supplies when you hit the river. The guys opted for the more elite shop today. I have to say....If you are going to work in customer service, retail, selling things to fly fisherman who plan on using them to catch fish on the stream that supports your business...you should have more personality then a door knob....Unfriendly, unhelpful, unwelcoming... This is my last time giving this particular shop my hard earned money....Oh well...

Arriving at the water...Mark somehow pulled a superman and geared up in the backseat of my jeep while I drove...He of course has a fish on by the time Dustin and I get to the water...We all fished like crazy....Every pattern in the boxes...Nymphs, stones, eggs, swinging some speys....Tough day...We all did get on some fish though.

"AHAHAHAHA...I fart in your general direction""


"Don't cry Dustin...There will be fish soon"




Dustin and Mark did the show me the fishy dance....


Mark's epic battle, ice cubes pouring off his brow...

His prize....

Mark totaled out at three fish landed...not bad at all

Dustin hooks up.....Big fish...real big fish..Leaps in the air..slams down and buries itself in a fallen tree...Mark and I tried to assist...It was of no use...The fish won...The line fell slack....This is his battle photo...


I finally hook up....My first fish was not so impressive...What she lacked in size she made up for in personality...


Immediately after this fish was released...I think it was on my third cast after...Another fish hooked up....
My battle over the rocks, trying to keep the fish from the current...


My prize...safely released after the photo


These were the patterns I tied for the trip....Both of my fish were caught on the same fly....Cloudy skies, low flows, cold water....Guess which one and I'll send you one....Good luck


Fun times....Tight Lines and Screaming Reels....

6 comments:

  1. Great day on the water! Thanks for sharing, but I am not sure if helps or makes the cabin fever worse -stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice report. I'll guess the same one you reported fishing on your last trip ... that sucker all the way on the right ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie and Dustin...get out and catch some steel...
    BKill....haha...nope....not a one bump on that this weekend....I was surprised after last weeks performance of it...something else...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the whole post and NEVER see a picture of the turkeys! Come on!

    To make up for it, I'll provide the winning guess.....the fly you caught it on is the bottom left green thing! (exclamation point, not a question mark, because I know I'm right....right?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. GFP...Nice try my friend....but wrong....It's so simple even a caveman can do it....

    ReplyDelete